The Urban League of Hampton Roads, Inc. was founded in 1978 with a mission to assist African-Americans and others in the achievement of social and economic equality. The League implements its mission in four programmatic areas: Education and Youth, Employment and Economic Empowerment, Housing and Health and Wellness.
- Education and Youth Program works to lessen the achievement gap between African Americans and other minorities to the larger community. This gap threatens the quality of life and the development of a world-class workforce.
- National Urban League Incentive to Excel and Succeed (NULITES)
- Read and Rise Book Club
- Academy of Computer Science and Technology
- Independent School Scholarship Program
- College Scholarship Program
- Employment and Economic Empowerment is dedicated to assisting Hampton Roads residents in securing economic self-sufficiency through the acquisition of living wage jobs. The League provides this service to low and moderate-income residents. Other services are offered to support small and minority owned businesses.
- Strategies for Success Employment Program
- Strategies for Success Youth Employment Program
- Small Business Empowerment Seminar Series
Housing Programs provides services to prepare and educate participants on the home buying process. Low and moderate wage earners are the target population. Programs Offered:
- Restore Our Homes Home ownership Center
- First Time Home buyers Pre-Purchase Counseling
- First Time Home buyer Education Classes
- Foreclosure Loss Mitigation Counseling
- Reverse Mortgage Seminars
- Bank of America Community Commitment Program
- Credit and Budget Counseling
- Health and Wellness Programs provides strategies for optimal living by making choices that support fitness, good nutrition and medical care. Education, outreach and case management services are provided. A primary focus of the health program is to assist individuals that are HIV/AIDS positive. Additionally outreach and education activities are provided in order to combat the spread of the disease.
- Ryan White Case Management
- Ryan White HIV/AIDS Outreach Program
- Housing Opportunities for Person Living With AIDS (HOPWA)
- POWER to End Stroke Prevention Program
- Discount Prescription Drug Program
The Urban League of Hampton Roads, Inc. serves Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach and Suffolk. The League’s main office is located in Portsmouth, Virginia and satellite offices in Norfolk and Virginia Beach.