Project Ready is a nationwide youth initiative, designed to reflect the positive aspects of youth in today’s society while providing opportunities for personal and leadership development. Project Ready has its own youth officers who develop, implement and execute activities with guidance from adult advisors. Youth participating in this program embrace the Seven Principles of Project Ready, which include:
STRIVE for excellence at home, school and in my community.
WORK within my neighborhood to further its development.
RESPECT my mind and body as well as the mind and bodies of others
CELEBRATE a better heritage and culture as well as those of others.
CREATE a better future for my family other people and myself.
CARE for the world’s people and environment.
PROMOTE a universal spirit of cooperation and peace.
In each of the four development areas outlined in the Read and Rise curriculum, parents and children will engage in literacy-building activities to help the youth acquire a solid foundation for learning to reach. Free books are also given to youth between the pre-K and 6th grade to encourage youth to reach and build in-home libraries. The program promotes instruction on encouraging children to read at home.
College Scholarship Program
The Scholarship Award Program recognizes outstanding Hampton Roads high school seniors and assists them in their pursuit of a higher education. The award must be used for educational expenses at accredited educational institution and is non-renewable.
- Applicants must be a high school senior who will graduate in June of the award year.
- Applicants must have a grade point average of at least 2.8.
- Applicants must be enrolled at a four year college or university in the fall after graduation.
- Priority will be given to members of the Urban League of Hampton Roads, Inc. and active students of the Project Ready Program.
- Financial hardship will be considered.
The Urban League of Hampton Roads’ Scholarship is merit based. Applicants will be reviewed in the following areas:
- Academic performance
- Community service
- Career goals
- Overall character
- Financial need
Partners with the scholarship program include:
- Farm Fresh Charitable Foundation
- Regent University
- Edith Johnson Memorial Foundation
- Southwest Airlines
- Urban League of Hampton Roads Young Professionals
Project Ready meets every second and fourth Tuesday of the month.
For more information Please contact Stephen Williams at (757) 627-0864 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download Application to apply for the program. Fax completed application to Stephen Williams at (757) 966-9613